Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Adventures in Colossians

Hi, again. Excuse the dust. I have been busy posting twice a week on this blog and have neglected this one. You might ask, "But, Grace & Peace, you can't even keep up with this blog, why start another one?" Trust me, I'm asking that question myself. All I can say is: It's all God's fault. :) It's His idea not mine.

Sometimes God can be a tad...demanding. Not only does He want me reading His Word daily in 2012, He also wanted me to memorize Colossians in a year. Ahem, actually, He asked me to do that last year. But due to my son's illness (and my inherent laziness), I let it fall through. So, truthfully, it's not His fault.

What I plan to do is to post the two verses each day (or week or let's be realistic, however long it takes me) plus the insights that He gives as I ponder those two verses. I chose the ESV instead of the NIV used in Ann's blog (see, another excuse - I'm good at finding those).

Shall we begin?

I admit my weakness, I'm motivated by cute. And this notebook I found at Staples from the Martha Stewart line is very cute:


I printed the verses on the Avery 8164 labels (6 to a sheet) so I couldn't use the excuse of "I don't have time to cut and paste the verses!" The label fits perfectly in the notebook. It was done in no time!

What are we waiting for? Let's go!

[x] Memorize:


Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
To the saints and faithful brothers in Christ at Colossae:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father.
(Colossians 1:1-2 ESV)

Insights:
Paul became an apostle by the will of God. He was a Pharisee (Philippians 3:5-7) and in his own words, a "persecutor of the church." But God (I love this phrase - anytime you see that it means something good is about to happen) had something in mind for him (see what I mean?). Something that is beyond his imaginings. Paul preached the gospel to the Gentiles and his writings live on today.

God can give someone a Damascus experience where the blindness and scales will fall afterwards. No one is beyond the reach of God's mighty hand. Amen and Amen.

What hope that gives me!



No comments: