Monday, November 21, 2011

Birthday Blessings

I took the day off. A good start!
Then I decided to commemorate my 47 years with 47 minutes in the elliptical machine.



(Proof!)
All I can say is, I hope Jesus comes back before I turn 48 because I barely survived that. (I admit, I'm a wimp.)
My husband was supposed to pick me up so we can have lunch but that changed when I received a call from our son, P, "Uhm, Mom? The awards thing is today at 11:40." So, change of plans to meet at school and have lunch there somewhere instead.
After lunch, I went to Abercrombie (and held my breath the entire time I was there) to exchange the 2 things my husband bought for me the night before. They were size extra small. Bless his clueless heart. Got a nice, sensible gray sweater instead.

I picked up P two hours later (did I really spend two hours walking around? Why, yes, yes I did.) We went to Costco to buy flowers because they are $5 cheaper than the florist down the street. Of course $111 later....
Anyway.
The bagger at Costco commented on the beautiful bouquet. I told him it was for my Mom. He asked if it was her birthday and I replied, no it's mine. Oh, he was so tickled that I'm buying flowers for her on my birthday. He said that was the sweetest thing. He had the biggest smile that I didn't have the heart to tell him I was taking it to the cemetery.



(Thank you, Mom.)

Leaving the cemetery, we saw this: waterfall in the sky!




Blessings are pouring forth! And indeed they have:
  • Calls and text messages from my family, near and far.
  • Birthday greetings and prayers from friends, near and far.
  • A special blog post from a dear friend from college whom I have reconnected recently. It's a bonus that we are both Jesus girls now.
  • A poem from another college friend. She is embarking on writing a thousand verses to glorify God. She is also a Jesus girl.
  • Dinner with my extended family including my sister, who shares the same birthday though 8 years apart. (My mom is known for her timing.)
  • Seeing our boys play together.
On the way home, P took a picture of the sunset. When I looked at it later in the evening, it reminded me a lot of the Calvary Chapel dove! Compare:
Yes, Maranatha! Come, Lord Jesus!
As I wrote my blessings on my notebook, my mind drifted back to what the first graders (dressed as little pilgrims!) sang during the awards program: "Give thanks with a grateful heart, give thanks to the Holy One, give thanks because HE has given Jesus Christ, His Son."
That is the greatest gift of all.

2 comments:

bogodoy said...

Was that the best birthday you've ever had? Satisfy my curiosity, friend.

~Grace and Peace said...

Why, yes, yes it was. Thank you!