Friday, July 24, 2009

On Being a Mighty Warrior

One of the things my pastor said the other night was that women are to be The Mighty Warriors for the kingdom. Our family is under attack by the enemy and we need to stand with our husbands - as a helpmeet - to guard and protect our families. He said the Proverbs 31 wife is a powerful ally.

Suddenly, I know how Gideon felt.
What? Me? Really? A Mighty Warrior? To do battle against satan and his minions? I can't even get my son to pick up his socks off the floor.
Being a Mighty Warrior is easy to do if the husband is walking with the Lord. But, what if my husband is not standing with me? What if he's in his recliner, watching television? Yes, Lord, this Proverbs 31 wife-wannabe is waiting for her husband to be a Psalm 1 man.
Oh, I long for my husband to walk with the Lord so he can be the spiritual leader of our family. Right now, I am carrying that mantle and it is hard. It is a daunting task. The thought of being responsible for the spiritual growth and eternal destinies of my children (AND their children) scares me. What if I mess up? (In fact, thinking back to the events of this past week alone, I know I have messed up.)
Lord, please help me not to be afraid to stand up for you - to be Your Mighty Warrior, whether my husband comes alongside me or not. Help me to start in my world - where you have me right now. Amidst the mess, the laundry, the cooking, the grocery shopping, the cleaning, the budgeting, the being unappreciated, the repetitiveness and the mundane. Help me to see You and to remember that I have a mission from the King. And no mission is too small for Your kingdom.

Help me, please. I need You.

Fill me with Your spirit. Help me to shine here. And in turn, have my boys catch the light and may they also glisten, no, not just glisten, may they impact their own worlds like fireworks on the 4th of July. I want them to be on fire for You!

You know my weaknesses. You know the state of my vessel, Lord. Broken spirit, weak vascillating, emotional, temperamental and impatient. But what I have learned from this and the other conferences you have brought me to is that perfection is not mandatory - nor expected. You just want a willing heart. That - I have. And that is all I can offer You.

Thank you, Heavenly Father.

6 comments:

Melissa Stover said...

i'm sorry you are carrying the burden of being the spiritual leader on your own. my mom did that and i know how hard it was for her. keep on being the example. God can change his heart.

Dana said...

Love your writing. Hang in there, Girl. Despite everything else in your world it sounds like you have your head on straight and your heart in the right place. Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart!! I know....because it happened to me.
I'll be praying for your family. once again love your writing.

Love in Christ,
Dana

Joyful said...

My friend...I hope this verse will encourage you.

"...the LORD stands beside me like a great warrior." Jeremiah 20:11

Yes, we need to be mighty warrior's, but we don't do it alone. The Lord stands with us.

(I am writing about this verse on Thursday.)

Hugs,
Joy

Jess said...

Oooooh, friend...I'm sorry. I am so glad that God sustains us through things that we can't imagine surviving.

love,
jess


p.s. my husband and I stayed up late watching Phineas and Ferb...I'm 32 but I completely love that show. So I LOVE your sidebar! Ha! (insert Perry growl)

Especially Heather said...

Amen. That is all I can say. Amen.
-H

Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post but - Can I be a Psalms 31 wife if I have already failed at it? If I have already hurt my husband, broken his trust and done him evil...christ can forgive me but my husband is human...